You are here

History

Economic growth and development have always been closely related to great changes which have taken place in this region.
Numerous generations of Montenegrin businessmen have marked the route on a map of economic development of our country. During this long period of time of few centuries, we come across some organizational foundations of interest-oriented and connected businessmen who are today joined in the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro through their pro-active role therefore, it is important to note that even in XIII century the place of Brskovo was a centre of industrial activity of this part of Europe as a well-established mine of lead and zinc; in 1494, on the Obod hill nearby Rijeka Crnojevica place, the first printing house of South Slavs was founded and became operational. In 1878, by the Decision brought on the Congress of Berlin, Montenegro became an internationally recognized state; in 1888, the General Property Law, written by Dr. Valtazar Bogisic one of the most prominent lawyers in Europe of that time, was adopted for the Principality of Montenegro; in 1896, a brewery of Trebjesa was founded in Niksic by equity as the first Montenegrin business; in 1901, the Prva niksicka stedionica was founded in Niksic; in 1902, the Constitution was adopted for the first time in history of Montenegro.

And not to forget...

1928 – The Chamber of Trade-industry and crafts of Montenegro was founded in Podgorica and its first administration appointed headed by Mićo Stijović, an industrialist from Podgorica.
1931 – The Parliament of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia adopted the Law on actions which regulated uniformed organizing of chambers of economy throughout the country. Back then, 79.3% of population of Montenegro worked in agriculture, forestry and fishery.
1936 – Construction works started on the administration building of the Chamber of Trade-industry and crafts in Podgorica, which today houses the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro.
1945 – After the end of the World War II, the work of the Chamber of Trade-industry and crafts was renewed and based in Titograd (today’s Podgorica).
1946 – The Cooperative Association of the National Republic of Montenegro was established and from 1948 to 1952 it performed the function of the Chamber of Economy in accordance with economic circumstances in that time.
1948 – The Government of the National Republic of Montenegro adopted the decree on dissolving the Chamber of Trade-industry and crafts in Titograd.
1952 - The Chamber of Trade of the National Republic of Montenegro was founded in Cetinje. The Chamber of Crafts of the National Republic of Montenegro was established. That year, Montenegro had in private and state sector as many as 848 stores which employed 2, 638 full-time workers and 691 apprentices.
1953 – In accordance with the Federal decree on association of economic organizations, the changes in the organization of the chamber system took place from the local to the federation level. On the grounds of this of this ordinance, the National Parliament of Montenegro adopted Decision on establishing the Trade-catering chamber of the National Republic of Montenegro based in Titograd (Podgorica). The Chamber membership was mandatory.
1954 – By the Decision of the National Parliament, a Craft Chamber of the National Republic of Montenegro was re-established, with the task to work on improving craft skills and trade of goods in the field of crafts as well as to work on strengthening the responsibility of the craft organizations towards the society and perform supervision of professional craft associations. By the Decision of the National Parliament of the National Republic of Montenegro, on November 5, 1954, the Traffic Chamber of Montenegro was established in Podgorica. Its task was to upgrade the railway, road, sea, lake, air and PTT traffic in Montenegro. The Chamber membership was on a voluntary basis. In the same year, by the Decision of the National Parliament of Montenegro, the Chamber of Agriculture of the National Republic of Montenegro was founded in Titograd. It changed its name in 1956 to the Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of the National Republic of Montenegro.
1955 – In the second half of 1955 and at the beginning of 1956, six Chambers were organized in Montenegro: Multi-purpose trade and catering chambers were located in Nikšić, Pljevlja, Ivangrad (Berane), and the specialized chambers (for trade) in Titograd (Podgorica) and Cetinje and the catering ones for the district of Cetinje with its seat in Kotor.
1958 – By the Decision of the Executive Council of the National Republic of Montenegro, the services of catering and trade were separated and two chambers were founded – the Trade Chamber and the Catering Chamber of the NR of Montenegro.
1960 – The Law on Economic Association and Business Cooperation (Official Gazette of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, 28/60) defined the function of the Chamber as an instrument of the socio-political community to influence the economic trends. The tasks of the Chamber have remained more or less the same and the principle of mandatory membership of business organization in the chambers was kept.
1962 – The Law on establishing unique chambers of economy was adopted (Official Gazette of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, 22/62). On the grounds of this Law, in July 1962, the Chamber of Economy of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro was established. It was independent in its work, and the membership in the organizations of the associated work, engaged in the economic activity, was mandatory.
1965 – The Parliament of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro adopted the Law on the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro (Official Gazette of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro, 31/65), which precisely stated that a unique republic chamber of economy in Montenegro is sufficient to perform its duties and in addition the authorizations of basic chambers.
1972 – The Amendments to the Statutes of the Chamber of Economy of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro introduced two types of membership: mandatory and voluntary. The mandatory involved business and other organizations performing the activity of importance for economy and their associations.
1975 – The Parliament of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro adopted the Law on associations in the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro (Official Gazette of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro, 43/75).
1981 –The Parliament of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro adopted the new Law on associations in the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro (Official Gazette of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro, 28/81).
1990 – Upon the amendment to the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro and multi-party parliamentary elections, a new socio-political system was established declaring Montenegro as democratic, civil, social and ecological state. In accordance with changes, the Parliament of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro adopted the Law on the Chamber of Economy (Official Gazette, 46/90), which defined the Chamber as an independent, business, professional and interest-based organization of businesses, banks, insurance companies, cooperatives, and other legal entities, agricultural households, independent stores, and other organizations conducting business activity.
1998 - The Parliament of the Republic of Montenegro adopted the Law on the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro (Official Gazette of the Republic of Montenegro, 42/1998), which established the Chamber of Economy not only as a professional business organization, but also as independent interest organization.
2003 – Upon the adoption of the Law on annulling the Law on the Chamber of Economy of Yugoslavia by the Parliament of the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro overtook all the rights and responsibilities of the Chamber of Yugoslavia, as well as the membership in the relevant international organizations and international activities referring the territory of the Republic of Montenegro, which had been performed by the Chamber of Economy of Yugoslavia. At the same time, the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro overtook the responsibility of performing public authorizations previously in competence of the Chamber f Economy of Yugoslavia.
2006- After the state of Montenegro restored its independence, the Chamber of Economy of Montenegro has continued to conduct independently all the affairs of representing the Montenegrin economy.